During business yesterday, the Senate took the following actions:
- Passed H.R. 2072, the "Export-Import Bank Reauthorization Act", by a vote of 78 yeas to 20 nays.
- Passed S. Res. 460, designating the week of May 20 through May 26, 2012, as "National Public Works Week".
- Passed S. Res. 461, recognizing the teachers of the United States for their contributions to the development and progress of our Nation.
- Considered the motion to proceed to consideration of S. 2343, the "Stop the Student Loan Interest Rate Hike Act".
- Agreed to consider five budget resolutions on Wednesday, May 16, 2012.
The Senate will meet today at 9:30 AM. The Senate is expected to consider the motions to proceed to consideration of the following five budget resolutions: S. Con. Res. 41, H. Con. Res. 112, S. Con. Res. 37, S. Con. Res. 42, and S. Con. Res. 44.
During business yesterday, the House took the following actions:
- Suspended the rules and passed H.R. 1864, the "Mobile Workforce State Income Tax Simplification Act".
- Suspended the rules and passed H.R. 365, the "National Blue Alert Act of 2012", by a vote of 394 yeas to 1 nay.
- Suspended the rules and passed H.R. 3534, the "Security in Bonding Act".
- Suspended the rules and passed H.R. 3874, the "Black Hills Cemetery Act", by a vote of 400 yeas to 1 nay.
- Suspended the rules and passed H.R. 205, the "HEARTH Act", by a vote of 400 yeas to 0 nays.
- Suspended the rules and passed H.R. 4240, the "Ambassador James R. Lilley and Congressman Stephen J. Solarz North Korea Human Rights Reauthorization Act of 2012".
- Suspended the rules and passed H.R. 4045, to modify the Department of Defense Program Guidance.
The House will meet today at 10:00 AM. It is expected to consider H.R. 4970, the "Violence Against Women Reauthorization Act of 2012" and H.R. 4310, the "National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2013", with both bills subject to a rule.
- Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, APHIS-2011-0003: revising the definition of retail pet store and related regulations to bring more pet animals sold at retail under the protection of the Animal Welfare Act (AWA).
- Energy Department, EERE-2008-BT-TP-0011: amending the test procedures for microwave ovens.
- Environmental Protection Agency, EPA-R08-OAR-2011-0114 FRL-9670-6: proposing to partially approve and partially disapprove a State Implementation Plan (SIP) revision submitted by the State of Utah on May 26, 2011 that addresses regional haze.
- Fish and Wildlife Service, FWS-R8-ES-2011-0064 4500030114: designating of critical habitat for Astragalus lentiginosus var. coachellae (Coachella Valley milk-vetch) under the Endangered Species Act of 1973, as amended (Act).
- Fish and Wildlife Service, FWS-R8-ES-2012-0007 FXES11130900000C5-123-FF09E32000: announcing the 12-month findings on a petition to reclassify San Clemente Island lotus, and San Clemente Island paintbrush under the Endangered Species Act are warranted.
- Small Business Administration, SBA-2011-011: amending its regulations governing small business contracting procedures.
The court has concluded scheduled oral arguments for the October 2011 term. However, the court is still meeting to finalize decisions on cases it heard during the preceeding term. The court's next session of oral arguments is scheduled to begin on Monday, October 1, 2012.