The Senate was not in session on Friday.
The Senate will meet today at 2:00 PM. The Senate is expected to resume consideration of the motion to proceed to consideration of S. 3187, the "Food and Drug Administration Safety and Innovation Act". At 4:30 PM, the Senate will consider the nomination of Paul J. Watford to be Circuit Judge for the Ninth Circuit. A vote on cloture for the nomination is expected to occur at approximately 5:30 PM. If the motion to invoke cloture is not successful, the Senate will then vote on the motion to invoke cloture on the motion to proceed to consideration of S. 3187.
During business, the House took the following actions:
- Passed H.R. 4310, the "National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2013", by a vote of 299 yeas to 120 nays, following consideration of proposed amendments.
- Agreed to two motions to instruct conferees on H.R. 4348, to provide an extension of Federal-aid highway, highway safety, motor carrier safety, transit, and other programs funded out of the Highway Trust Fund.
- Agreed to the Senate amendment to H.R. 4849, the "Sequoia and King Canyon National Parks Backcountry Access Act".
The House is currently in recess for a district work period. The House will meet in a pro forma session at 10:00 AM on Tuesday, May 21. The House will return to conduct business on Wednesday, May 30.
Significant Proposed Rules:
- Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service: reopening the comment period to revise the conditions for the importation of live bovines and products derived from bovines with regard to bovine spongiform encephalopathy. (Comment period ends 8/20/12)
- Federal Aviation Administration: amending the regulations for repair stations by revising the system of ratings, the repair station certification requirements, and the regulations on repair stations providing maintenance for air carriers. (Comment period ends 8/20/12)
Significant Final Rules:
- Environmental Protection Agency: establishing the air quality thresholds that define the classifications assigned to all nonattainment areas for the 2008 ozone national ambient air quality standards (NAAQS). (Effective 7/20/12).
- Presidential Notice: continuing for 1 year the national emergency with respect to the stabilization of Iraq.
The court has concluded scheduled oral arguments for the October 2011 term. However, the court is still meeting to finalize decisions on cases it heard during the preceeding term. The court's next session of oral arguments is scheduled to begin on Monday, October 1, 2012.