During business yesterday, the Senate took the following actions:
- Passed S. Res. 500, celebrating the accomplishments of title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, also known as the Patsy Takemoto Mink Equal Opportunity in Education Act, and recognizing the need to continue pursuing the goal of equal educational opportunities for all women and girls.
- Passed S. Res. 501, supporting National Men's Health Week.
- Passed S. Res. 502, celebrating the 150th anniversary of the signing of the First Morrill Act.
- Continued consideration of the motion to proceed to consideration of S. 1940, the "Flood Insurance Reform and Modernization Act". A motion was made to close debate and proceed to consideration of the bill, and a vote on the motion to invoke cloture will occur on Friday, June 22.
- Rejected the motion to proceed to consideration of S.J. Res. 37, to disapprove a rule promulgated by the Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency relating to emission standards for certain steam generating units, by a vote of 46 yeas to 53 nays.
- Continued consideration of S. 3240, the "Agriculture Reform, Food, and Jobs Act", by taking action on proposed amendments to the bill.
The Senate will meet at 10:30 AM today. The Senate will resume consideration of S. 3240, the "Agriculture Reform, Food, and Jobs Act", with votes on amendments and final passage of the bill taking place later in the day.
During business yesterday, the House took the following actions:
- Agreed to the Walz motion to instruct conferees H.R. 4348, to provide an extension of Federal-aid highway, highway safety, motor carrier safety, transit, and other programs funded out of the Highway Trust Fund, by a vote of 386 yeas to 34 nays.
- Debated the McKinley motion to instruct conferees H.R. 4348, to provide an extension of Federal-aid highway, highway safety, motor carrier safety, transit, and other programs funded out of the Highway Trust Fund.
- Suspended the rules and passed S. 3187, the "Food and Drug Administration Safety and Innovation Act".
- Began consideration of H.R. 4480, the "Strategic Energy Production Act of 2012".
The House will meet today at 9:00 AM. The House is expected to complete consideration of H.R. 4480, the "Strategic Energy Production Act of 2012", subject to a rule.
Significant Proposed Rules:
There were no significant proposed rules printed today.
Significant Final Rules:
There were no significant final rules printed today.
- Presidential Proclamation 8839: proclaiming June 17, 2012, as Father's Day.
- Presidential Notice: continuing for 1 year the national emergency with respect to the risk of nuclear proliferation created by the accumulation of weapons-usable fissile material in the territory of the Russian Federation.
- Presidential Notice: continuing for 1 year the national emergency declared with respect to the actions and policies of the Government of North Korea.
The court has concluded scheduled oral arguments for the October 2011 term. However, the court is still meeting to finalize decisions on cases it heard during the preceeding term. The court's next session of oral arguments is scheduled to begin on Monday, October 1, 2012.
The court will meet today to release opinions.